Wednesday, July 29, 2009

SLR Lens Repair

On our recent climb of San Gorgonio (11,000+ ft- highest in SoCal) the thin air must have messed with my brain and I forgot to close the camera case after I took a picture. Sucks. A few steps later and my camera went flying out and landed on the trail with a sickening thud. The only good thing, as Nicole pointed out, was that it landed on the dusty trail and not on any of the medium sized granite rocks laying around.

The camera body seemed to be fine, and even the lens seemed OK that day. However it became increasingly difficult to zoom with it (35-135mm) and there was a rattle when it moved around. Uhhh sickening when I think of how these high-tech optic devices are made. So I took the plunge to open it up and see what was going on in there... hoping it didn't look anything like a Shimano shifter.

Was actually pretty easy... a few small screws opened up with an exacto knife, and I was in one layer... and that's all I needed I guess. Removed a few plastic bits that had snapped off, and put one screw back on the zoom mechanism that keeps the optics track lined up. It is still pretty stiff to zoom in/out, but I don't want to mess with trying to put any lubricants in there.... I think I'll just take the working lens I have now and be happy about it.

But once I get a job... I'm getting this guy. Like the carbon wheels of cameras.

No comments: