Thursday, January 29, 2009

Commuter Bikes

I've recently gotten Seattle and Portland on my mind for places I'm likely to move to in the next year or so... so naturally the first thing to consider is what sort of commuter bike I'll need.

Owing to the wet environ (this is a much cooler way to say 'environment') of each locale (again, cooler way to say 'location') I figured something good in the rain would be necessary- and I immediately thought of one of those new belt driven bikes from Trek.
I was a little disappointed at this first effort at this type of bike. Clearly Trek knows who they are marketing this towards, having called it the "Urban". So it's a super commuter bike right? Well where are the fenders?? I mean, sure I'll just install them myself, but seriously, if you're marketing a commuter bike, just put some of the necessities on there! I'll take this as an opportunity to get some wooden fenders so dudes with curly mustaches and curly mustache bars will think that I'm hip.

The thing that really gets me, though, is the lack of ability to throw disc brakes on this bad boy and the seeming lack of clearance for phat tyres. Disc brakes make so much sense for a commuter bike... I can't imagine anything easier than a cheap pair of disc brakes. I think I'd go with cable actuated so that you have some ability to gradually apply the brakes. Come on Trek, a commuter bike that will be all covered in brake juice ruining those trendy orange hoops?? And hopefully the climate has not shifted towards a snowy existence in Portland/Seattle like this year portends, but I'd still like the option of throwing some fat rubber on my cruiser.

Hopefully by the time I'm looking to get a bike Trek will come out with a second version of this bike.... that or I'll have to learn some braze-on techniques to get this guy up to snub....Come on Trek, do you need Lance to tell you how to do everything?

No comments: