Friday, November 07, 2008

LA Comeback

No... not Los Angeles, this city does, and forever will, suck.

I've been thinking about Lance Armstrong's comeback. Not because I want to- I've read enough about douchebags leading up the election. But since it's the first story of every cycling website whenever Lance steps into a wind tunnel...it's hard to avoid.

This is quote from cyclingnews from today:

Armstrong is not necessarily looking for the position that will make the bike the fastest. "It has to be a perfect mix between position and power. If I am five percent slower due to the position, but have 25 percent more power, than that will be better."

Cyclingnews needs to do some better editing. "not necessarily looking for the position that will make the bike fastest"? Are you kidding? I think they meant to say not necessarily the most aerodynamic. That's the compromise.... aerodynamics and power. Not speed and power. You should be optimizing speed bar none.

Anyway... what I was really thinking about is my theory on Lance's comeback. I think he's seen a new wave of clean cycling hit the forefront. With teams implementing stronger anti-doping programs (Garmin and Columbia particularly) and tests being coordinated by drug companies (CERA) he wants to come back and prove to himself that he can win clean. I believe that he was on drugs when he won his Tours.... but can you blame just him? If many other people were doing it, it's hard not to, though I still blame him for doing it.... but it's not all on his shoulders. I think he looks at the sport now and thinks, wow even a clean cyclist might be able to win something now, maybe I'll see if I'm actually as good as my world championship ride in the rain had me out to be....but he was probably doping then too.

No comments: