Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pretty excited....

....to get one of these guys:I'm sure they'll be a vast improvement to the current Shimano cups I've been using. As smooth as ceramic bearings? Probably not, but they are going to be bulletproof. One claim is a little weird, though:

"Racers take note! With the Chris King bottom bracket and injection tool, you can train day-to-day with a durable high-viscosity grease and race with a light, fast-rolling low-viscosity grease or oil. Imagine your current Friday night leg-shaving ritual finishing with a few minutes in the garage to get your bike as smooth as you are."
www.chrisking.com/bottombracket

So I'm picturing people might train with normal viscosity grease, then swap that out with lower viscosity grease the night before a big race? Race your hand if you've ever had grease on your hands. Do you think if you tried to wash your hands off with lower viscosity grease, it would come off?? I think that when you try to push the light "race grease" into your bottom bracket, its not really going to displace the original grease much. The hand analogy does break down a bit because there is no pressure buildup around your hands... but still. Maybe the bulk will be replaced, but a good amount of the original grease will probably still be coasted on the bearings themselves. I guess if you do it a few times while moving the cranks around it might help dislodge everything.

Certainly isn't worse than just having the same grease in there all the time, but still seems like a stretch to me.

Market it as an amazing feature for service and I'm 110% on my way to buying it. Add in this weird sub-plot about swapping grease- I'm only 100% into it..... so still, buying myself Chris King BB as soon as possible. Good thing is... MSRP is only $129!!!

1 comment:

Matt Spohn said...

Just having the option to do that is really annoying. And even more annoying that they put that they plant that little seed in your head. Because you will be tempted to do it. Which sucks. At least I would be. Even if I agree that you will have a hard time displacing the thick grease.