Sunday, May 04, 2008

What else... more racing.

Did Barrio Logan on Saturday, and CBR Dominguez "I've raced this course 8 times this year" Hills.

Barrio Logan was an EXPERIENCE. Man, I haven't seen that many crashes in a race for a LONG time. The first few were in straightaways. I swerved and jumped my way over guys who donated their skin to the pavement. Sucks. Was not near enough to the front when two guys, Scott from SDBC, and Albert from T-mobile, ended up rolling away. Definitely would have jumped to go with that, but the trouble is I tried to bridge far too late... and ended up just torching myself before the finish. Oh well.

Next day was the CBR race, where Ernie is still leading the series. He couldn't make it, however, so our strategy going in was to get Ted, our next best placed rider, the victory, and limit the points that Max, from SC Velo, got... who was sitting 2nd.

Well we only had about 30 riders at most, because San Luis Rey was going on the same day. So my thoughts of sitting in and leading Ted out full throttle were probably not going to happen. They were certain not to happen once Ted decided to shred people to death about 3 laps in. Originally it was Ted and a Banning's Rider, so myself and some Bannings guys were slowing what was left of the field down. I basically just sat on Max's wheel the whole race. After only a few laps Ted had dropped the Bannings guy, and was drilling it out there all by himself. I was already thinking of where I would counter once Ted's Andrea-like move came back.... but it didn't, ever. I sat in the wheels of the chasers, who were for the most part not all that organized, and not fully committed to anything. Most people didn't realize I was just marking Max, and some dude started swearing at me to pull- needless to say I did not, just made sure to gap him off the back a few times. I basically sat 4th wheel for half the race while three guys just rotated in front of me. Wonderful!

At one point I had actually let Max slip behind me, and I was still sitting 4th wheel... so I figured, what the hell, I'll let these three go, and that is 3 more spots that Max can't get into... so I just sat up, and so did everyone behind me. So 3 guys went up the road, and I can imagine that with only 3, they worked better, because they stayed away too. One dude actually caught Ted, but Ted still beat him down in the sprint. Going into the final lap, I should have just continued to sit on Max's wheel, but a little lull in the pace invited me to attack with what I thought should be significantly fresher legs than everyone else... but I guess not. I almost got to the last corner, but was rushed by four guys, and then a few more... I think I ended up 15th- bummer. But Ted got the victory, and Max only got 5th, so even though he'll definitely take over the lead, it's still manageable.

No comments: