Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cross Ride

Went out for a cross ride yesterday for the first time in.... a long while. I had never actually hit up any type of off road riding in the fall... just did the cross clinic at Fairview Park, and raced on the weekends. No surprise that anything technical was to my disadvantage... as I slid out in numerous corners, and generally rode cross like a roadie.

I'll still be riding cross like a roadie this season I'm sure, but if I keep heading out to the single-track out here then I'll be a lot better off come the fall. Plus it was a lot of fun.... but I've definitely learned the lesson that whenever the trail crosses over more than two or three iso-altitude lines (what are those called?) on a topo map, then... it's steep as hell! Did not plan on climbing for the first mile in my smallest gear, just hoping not to fall over.

Once I got up on top of a ride though, I could look out into the Laguna and Crystal Cove "Wilderness". Though if I turned around I'd see the 73 and a bunch of houses. Ehh, it's all good. Mainly rode fire-roads and just checked things out, but did hit up some loose dirt single track, which was fun, and I even bit it once... so even this tame ride was enough to buck off this roadie.

No comments: