Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Back to racin'

After recovering from some sort of "bug" or just being tired, I decided that I should just jump head first into some racing. Figured 3 races in one day ought to amount to that.

5:15AM- wake up in San Diego and eat copious amounts of oatmeal
6:00AM- sign in at the Fiesta Island TT- start warming up
7:13AM- start my first 40K TT

I forgot my shoecovers, and could only borrow one from Lisa- so I took the suggestion of the guy who was overhearing this perdicament, and put it on the outside foot... it travels furhter... and isn't sheltered by the island like the inside foot is... riiiight, but I had to choose one foot...

The time trial went fairly well, for my first 40K. I did this course a few weeks ago, as a 20K, and basically went out hard, held 190 for a while, slipped to 180s, before rallying back to mid 190s on the final few K's. I figured for a 40K I should ease off that a bit, and was happy to sit between 180-185 for the first few laps. As far as time trials go, this seemed very easy, but I didn't want to blow up. It went much faster than I thought, and the last lap (8K to go) came and I had too much in the tank. I opened it up full throttle, but would have been better served by laying it out a little more evenly. Still a great ride for my first effort- got in under the hour for 59:30. I think I'll try to hold 185-190 at districts, then just ramp it up in the second half. I want to be DEAD after that puppy.

8:15AM cool down
8:40AM driving up to Irvine
10:30AM sign in for Collegiate A race
10:45AM Racin' again
Start of the Men's A crit

My legs felt much better than I thought they would after the 40K, and the first few laps went by very easily. I just sat in the group, followed a few moves just to cover, and also because I don't know any of these guys that well- not sure who can power it off the front. I think I got some prime points... but whatever! Teammate John was a beast attacking a few times, and hanging himself off the front- but no one came across to work. I just hung in for as long as I could- about 45 mins into the hour race it all of a sudden turned into survival racing. Once you cross that line from thinking race tactics, to thinking "shit hold this last wheel", it doesn't take long. I pushed myself for a few laps, then just eased off and cooled down while the race finished.

12:00-3:00PM Hung around the race, ate any food in the vicinity, drank a few sodas.
3:00PM Cat 3 race

By this time I was feeling tired, just being out there all day, and having two races in my legs. Again though the first few laps felt fine, and with such a big group it was that much easier to sit in as opposed to the Collegiate race. I once again followed a few moves at the beginning just to make sure we were in anything serious, but avoided burning any matches for socks or water bottles, or whatever the primes were. The most fun was certainly getting three of us across the front and really slowing it down once we had people off the front. The moves that I was blocking for eventually came back, but just afterwards, the main split occurred. A few laps afterwards, Ted hero-ed himself across the gap in about a lap. Meanwhile I was sitting at the back of the field playing survivor again. The break was big enough that no blocking was needed, but even the relatively slow pace of the field was too much for me- I popped, and hung out for the last few minutes of the race, and watched Ted pull a top 10- not a bad result, though better luck in the last lap would have had him shooting for the podium.

4:00-6:00PM Clean up trash and pack stuff up.

All in all- good day on the bike. Monday I felt destroyed, but that was ok, because I just ate food and stayed off my feet. Went for an easy spin on Tuesday.... and I'm charging the batteries back for another 3 race weekend... but this time it will be spread out: Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Cyclovets Omnium. I'll keep ya posted.

1 comment:

bikepennst8 said...

You probably would have went faster with no booties.