Monday, March 03, 2008

Going Solar

I haven't plugged in cell phone into the wall for over three days. I haven't used the car charger either. No, thankfully I am not cut off from society (yet). I've been using this small solar/battery system:



I bought it off eBay for about $50, and considering its replacing the electricity that I don't pay for... it has a pretty long pay back period. However, the bad ass period has already elapsed, it is very bad ass. I think it's really cool that the energy running my phone was not created somewhere in a big dirty central plant, then pushed through a grid where something crazy like 40% of the energy is lost in transmission. The energy is right there in the sunlight. Goes through the little cord, and right into my phone.

It took a day or two to find the optimum place for it. For all the ladies out there who have slept over at my place, you know the sun shines into my window in the morning, so I can get about 3-4 hours of charging then, and depending on where I'm parked, I catch the afternoon rays in the parking lot. It takes about 6 hours to fully charge the battery, which is 1800mAh, or roughly twice the size of my cell phone battery. Assuming that both batteries operate between relatively similar states of charge, that correlates to being able to charge my phone twice on a days worth of sun. Easily enough for all the use I have for it.

I bought it with the intention of using it while camping and bike touring- it could recharge my phone, an iPod, and a Garmin. Keeping me in touch, entertained and on track.

No comments: