Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cross riding... attracts cross weather?

So I went out for my first cross practice yesterday evening. I literally installed the cleats in the parking lot, then took a few minutes to spin around and practice hopping off and "hopping" on before we did a few laps around the park. It went relatively well.... need to do a lot of work so the whole process of hopping on and off is fluid and seamless, but I have some time, so I'll work on that. I did bite it once... at the bottom of a BIG hill. There is basically a large sand pit at the bottom, and I didn't realize how sloppy it actually was down there. So taking the turn at the bottom of the hill I just washed out... but it looked much more hardcore than it was due to my opening up an old cut. Sweet bloody cross.

Thursday morning... coffee crew ride. 30 miles which is usually relatively chill until the end which picks up the pace a bit, then hits two relatively good hills towards the end. The ride was completely different though. It was raining! Wasn't so bad when we started, and it didn't really even ever rain that hard on us, but the spray and all the gravel kicked up made the ride horrible. It was better out East when the constant rains drove junk off the road. There were tons of little stones in my eyes. (sunglasses were worthless). Oh well. My goal was to make it over Newport Coast Dr. (big climb at the end) with the group, but I didn't even really make it to the bottom with them... thanks rain and stoplights. Maybe it was the cyclocross that brought out the weather.... supposed to have more of it this weekend. bummer.

1 comment:

bikepennst8 said...

you need to harden the f*$! up!

and what was that I hear... something about the weather being better out on the east coast. or was that worse... I cant tell