Saturday, June 30, 2007

Fitchburg Day2: Circuit Race

On tap for the second day of Fitchburg was a 28 mile circuit race featuring a two block long stairstepper climb, and a fast backside to make about a three mile loop. For most, it is easy to sit in for this race.... usually finishes all together without any time gaps. Didn't quite work out that way.

Since my TT put me way out of contention for any hope at overall glory, I figured I'd try my hand at the points jersey. The first sprint was the very first time through the line. I tried to get myself up to the front, but was still about 40 back through the turn at the bottom of the hill... so no dice for that sprint. Two laps later, I got myself into the top 15 into that turn looking to snag some points... but as soon as the road went uphill, I slid back instead of passing people, which is necessary in order to get points. From there on it was a race of survival. I kept slipping further and further back, and eventually was gapped off at the top of the hill, and the lights went out. I rode it very easily, not really caring how much time I lost... turned out to be a good strategy. The field was finishing right as they were lapping me, so I blended right in, and they placed me in the field.... at the same time. If this mattered at all, I would have corrected the officials, but their mistake moved me from 85 to 70 overall, instead of moving me down to a likely lantern rouge. So.... whatever. I'll claim that prize tomorrow during the road race.

No comments: