Monday, January 19, 2009

World Champions

While watching the NFL playoffs recently, I've been reminded how much I hate it when sports call their champions "World Champions". MLB does this (even calling it 'World Series'), NFL, I think NHL (though at least they include Canada, but hockey is VERY popular in other areas, so still not an accurate statement).

This is a real world champion. Competed against the best in the world, who qualified by racing their asses off for the whole year earning their county's entry spots, then winning.



This is not a real world champion (I can't help but also display a fat baseball player. It could just as easily been a fat lineman).

Football, Baseball, Hockey, Baseketball.... none of the American based leagues even attempt to engage all the teams that play these sports internationally. It would be a logistical nightmare to do this every year obviously, so take it from Soccer- just do it every 4! I really wish that these leagues would dial back the arrogance at calling their champions "World Champions". I mean... does the league champion from the English Premiere League just randomly claim to be the "World Champion"? I really hope some non-American league does do this.... but I would think this is the only country where such arrogance exists. (Maybe France can give us a run for our money??)

All that being said, I still like watching the NFL playoffs- I'm still American afterall. Somehow, though, the Superbowl always seems to be a let down. The NFC/AFC championship games always seem to be better.... we'll see what happens this time. GO CARDINALS!! Go become World Champions!!

5 comments:

bikepennst8 said...

NFL, Baseball, Football - I think you are right.

But, NHL calls their championship the Stanely Cup. I dont think anyone refers to it as a World Championship.

Now go ride your bike. Don't you have a crit coming up?

Erik said...

I'm glad you're right- NHL would be a really poor choice to use the world champion label- with the sports popularity across Europe and Russia. Yes... I have a crit this week... not ready.

ridin at 4:20 said...

Dude,

Antonio Alfonseco is the man. He's got 6 fingers and 6 toes. But yeah, he's a fat ass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Alfonseca

Anonymous said...

sorry to burst you`re little bubble world of cycling butt hockey also has a worlds tourn. (btw north american teams compete) & ,this will really floor ya >>>they ( americans & canadians ) also play hockey in the olympics,every 4 years .....

Erik said...

Yeah, its been pointed out that I was incorrect with my claims about hockey. But the reason is that the NHL champion is not branded as a world champion.

Doesn't matter that they play in the Olympics- if the NHL called their champion a 'world champion', I'd still have an issue... Olympics or not.