Monday, November 24, 2008

Crazy weekend of cross

This past weekend was the first collegiate cross event, hosted by UCIrvine and Bike Religion, and District Championships (states for all you pussies out there who live in states where one championship is enough).

The first day I arrived real early to help run registration and setup the BBQ. Everything went relatively smoothly, but I was still running around with start sheets and fixing the course up as the day went along. I was pretty tired by the time I got a few laps of warmup in... but I was familiar with the course and ready to take some points. I did the 3/4 on Saturday, and had a real good start, sitting in 2 or 3 through the first lap. The "Bobby Langin Jr" of this year, Eric Christensen came flying by at some point during the 2nd or 3rd lap, and I didn't have it to tack on, but John VD rode away with him. I battled it out for 3rd with some other guy I don't know, and managed to hold him off in the last corner by opening up the inside line ever so slightly, then firmly closing the door when he tried to squeeze by. You don't sneak by on the inside on the last turn on someone who weighs 170lbs... I just move my fat ass over.

Sunday was a whole different story. I did the Pro123 race, as that was where the cat3 championship would be fought out. I thought maybe I had a slight chance of trying to cling to wheels and give the win a shot at the line until the official asked those who were racing the 3s to raise their hands and a number of the guys who have been racing (and some placing top5) in the Elites all year raised their hands. Oh well.... Didn't end up mattering anyway, as anyone with a bike and a cat3 license passed me by at some point during the race. A few riders had the distinct privilege of passing me twice, which was just fine for me, as that meant one less lap for me! I was NOT ready for 60 minutes of that kind of racing. But at least I know what I need to get my body ready for.




The barriers were right after a 180 right hand turn... so the dismount and run-around was the order of the day.

No comments: