Tuesday, April 29, 2008

El Dorado

Did my first El Dorado since racing it last August when I had zero fitness. That one was interesting... it was the last race of the series, so everyone was there to nab points, and there I was with three days of riding in the last month and a half. Wasn't fun.

This time was much better. Met up with a group of folks at Bike Religion, located conveniently for me right on UC Irvine campus. After a late start we rode the ~27 miles up to the course at a pretty high pace, with help from an unusual tailwind. Plenty warm for the race, and I settled in allright despite the relatively suicidal pace set from the outset. Tony Cruz came late and somehow they let him enter, what bullshit!!!! (kiddddding). So I happened to be on his wheel when he decided that it was time to give it gas. I figured, what the hell- I'll never get to ride on the limit with a Tour rider again, so let's go. Despite being a very stupid thing for someone who is struggling to really hold his own in this relatively fast field, I jumped with him. The move also brought out Alexi Martinez, who jumped and attacked after Tony had relented. Tony obviously saw this was going nowhere, probably as soon as he saw that they had drawn out a fat cat3 dude to work with. I pulled through once with Alexi, and then we were caught. That is what Tuesday night crit racing is for... putting yourself at 195 10 minutes in and not feeling bad about it.

I sat in and recovered as much as I could, which I did much better than I thought, and managed to get myself to the front for the last two laps. I was sitting 5th or 6th wheel when we got the bell, which as I learned on that course is WAY too far forward.... we were hauling ass, and the guys who got the armchair ride were like 20 back. Guess the total non-technical nature of this crit is why it doesn't matter if you're in the top 10. I still gave it a real good effort to not get swarmed too bad on the last lap, but as soon as people were jerking me around from both sides for the chance at Tuesday night glory I pulled the plug and rolled it in without any drama. I felt good about the effort though.... I think if I stay tucked in man-up for that final sprint instead of being a wuss about it, I can do allright there.

Now recovery time for Barrio Logan and the worst named crit ever "The Pounding Idiots Criterium" where hopefully Liquid Fitness can pound some idiots around and set up the 8 foot tall giant for the V.

No comments: