Tuesday, March 25, 2008

John Muir Trail

The John Muir Trail "starts" in Yosemite National Park, and winds through the high Sierras, ending up at Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48. I've recently decided that a thru-hike of this 211 mile trail, which in reality would be more like 240 when all is said and done, is necessary at some point before my life gets too complicated to leave for three weeks.

What I didn't realize, however, was that if you look at google map's "Terrain" feature, and zoom in real tight, it follows the JMT. Check out the beginning here. It's not difficult at all to follow it all the way South, to Mt. Whitney. Another cool thing I found out online is that a town nearby Whitney Portal offers bus service up to a small town near Yosemite National Park, where a different bus can then take you into the park, where you can park for extended amounts of time for free.

So... here's to another reason why I can't wait to get my masters, so I can get some real world experience.

No comments: