Sunday, February 19, 2006

New perspectives

I always used to be rather nonchalant about saying, "yea... I'm a cyclist. I shave my legs and eat gooey honey-like syrups and layerup with many lycra garments and ride into shitty weather". I never realized that being a cyclist is such a privilege... a privilege that I'm really having trouble with not having right now. And its not just injury that prevents people from taking advantage of cycling... I'm sure the number one is money. I'm really lucky in this respect. My brothers worked over my parents so they were ready for the hundred dollar nashbar orders to build up my first bike, and the registration fees and the like. Sure I've worked during the summers and have earned a good chunk of my race money in the last few years, but without being lucky enough to have parents that first have, and secondly give the money necessary to enter our sport... I'd be a different person. (I certainly wouldn't be freaking out about how hairy my legs are at this point...)

I've also been wondering about my mental state when I start to race again. I know going into my first few races I'll be satisifed just to be there. I can't wait to be on a start line again. But I think it's going to be really hard to not expect results too soon. I know the first time I don't stack up on a TT I'm going to be really pissed.... I've come to take those for granted. I guess I'll just have to stay positive, I'm sure I'll be happy to be out there. I think it's really important to wait before I start to race, so I'm at least able to finish... I'd like to put a good month of riding relatively hard before I line up. I've DNF'ed some races when I've been training, but I just don't want to deal with it once I'm starting it back up again.

But on a more pleasant note, the Tour of California starts tonight (or rather eariler today). ESPN2 is showing an hour of coverage for each stage from 1AM-2AM. The time sucks, I don't know why they can't show it eariler.... but at this point I'm glad that it's on TV in the states, and that there is coverage for each stage. That is more than I can say about the Giro, but I'll rant about OLN much more later on.... Not really sure who I'm pulling for, but I think it'd be good to have an American on the podium somewhere when it's all said and done. It would help the sport grow in the US a bit in the vaccum of post-lance. I think Levi has good shot, and from what I've read he's pretty fit. So... go (American) German water boy! But seriously, we all know that Mike Friedman is going to take the prologue... it's made for his massive quads and large butt.

2 comments:

bikepennst8 said...

you will stay a cyclist until you hit 200 lbs. when that happens, you will then have to start referring to yourself as a "clydesdale" when looking for help on why your spokes keep breaking.

Erik said...

i'm going to nacho night tonight. that won't help.